A Sweet Autumn Treat
This recipe is a firm favourite with us ! Taken from Mary Berry’s New Aga Cookbook, it’s easy to make and is great for using up some of the apples from our orchard. Serve warm with cream or ice cream as a dessert or with morning coffee, again warm, with a dust of icing sugar.
225g self-raising flour
1 level tsp baking powder
225g caster sugar
2 large eggs
½ tsp almond extract
150g butter, melted
250g cooking apples, peeled and cored
25g flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 160c/fan 140C. Lightly grease a deep 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
- Measure the flour, baking powder, sugar, eggs, almond extract and melted butter into a bowl. Mix well until blended and then beat for a minute.
- Spread half this mixture into the prepared tin. Thickly slice the apples and lay on top of the mixture in the tin, piling mostly towards the centre.
- Using 2 dessertspoons, roughly spoon the remaining mixture over the apples, making sure that the mixture covers the centre well as it will spread out in the oven. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1¼–1½ hours until golden and coming away from the sides of the tin. Dust with icing sugar before serving