Make the most of Summer!
This is a wonderfully refreshing pale pink cordial that takes just ten minutes to prepare. Delicious diluted with sparkling water, plenty of ice and a few leaves of fresh mint. A squeeze of lime juice is also a good addition.
300g golden caster sugar
Zest and juice of 1 orange
Zest and juice 1 lemon
450g rhubarb, chopped
1 slice fresh root ginger, peeled
- Put the sugar in a large saucepan with 300ml water. Bring to a simmer and then add the zest and juice of the orange and lemon along with the rhubarb and ginger.
- Cook the mixture over a medium heat until the rhubarb is falling apart.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve lined with muslin or a jelly bag into a clean heatproof jug before transferring to sterilised bottles.
- Allow to cool and store in the fridge where it will keep for a couple of months. It also can be frozen in ice cube trays to use throughout the summer.
- To serve dilute approximately 25ml of cordial per 100ml sparkling water, or to taste. Also great added to a gin and tonic!